Saturday, August 28, 2010

Procratination 101

I am a major slacker when it comes to doing work. Writing doesn't become "work" to me until it's time to editor in preparation for the next draft or the final line edit. Besides the bouts of writer's block, writing is an enjoyable experience. It have everything in your head come neatly together on paper. It's the ultimate natural high.

But when procrastination does hits, whether it's writer's block or not, here are a few types that have helped me:

  • Discover the cost - Is procrastinating keeping you from getting what you want? If the answer is yes (which it usually is with me), then this might be the kick in the butt that you need to do the tedious chore (whatever that might be) that you've been putting off.

  • Let feelings follow action - Do it first. Your mood will catch up. Once I'm in my protagonist's world, it doesn't matter how I got there, I'm still riding the wave.

  • Be aware of your best time of day - That's when you can get your work done. I'm a night person. I rarely can hit my stride before 10pm.
  • Learn to Say No - Ignoring your own responsibilities to do something else, is one way to lose the grasp of what you need to do.
  • Ask “What’s My MIT (Most Important Task)? - Finding the answer to this question will help you realize what needs to be done.
  • Break Down Large Tasks - Expand the task over days for completion. Unless you're one of the lucky writers who don't work or have other responsibilities besides writing, the likelihood of getting all your editing (etc.) work done in one day is impossible, besides unwise (you'll miss something).
  • Plan Rewards - Rewarding yourself after completion of assignment is essential. It fosters positive reinforcement. It’s your own “pad on the back” for completing the job. And besides, you might not fall into the procrastination rut if you know a reward is waiting for you once you finish this daunting task in the writing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment