Friday, July 16, 2010

Patience


When it comes to writing, you have to have tons of patience. The whole writing process warrants it; from the inception of the idea, to the polished final draft (before agents and/or editors), even to querying and waiting for an agent to find your story compelling and worthy of his/her representation. As a writer, I have accepted all of this, but, at times, my patience (which I usually have plenty of) thins.


Putting aside the normal waiting game that comes with querying agents, I have been working on a chapter for three weeks now for my newest project. I have written the first ten pages three times and still there is no ending in sight. I wouldn't say that I have writer's block (that was last week), it's more like I'm hitting my head against an invisible wall. None of the other chapters have given me this much grief.

As it stands, I know how the chapter should begin and I know how it will end, it's what comes in between that is causing all of this chaos, pushing me beyond the limits of my patience. I will admit that this chapter is important. I know that's the reason why I'm slaving over it, making sure the written word is just as powerful as the image that won't escape my mind; proving that there is a method to my madness.

It's so frustrating to be stuck, desparately trying to figure out a way to navigate around the obstacle so that your patience can be restored. I am a truly patient person, overly so, I've been told, but nothing makes my fuse shorter than not being able to write this chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment