Sunday, July 4, 2010

Drowning in Words...........

The job of a writer is never done. Regardless, if you have moved on to another project. Case in point, I have been tweaking (omitting a word here, sentence there, etc.) from my novel for the past two weeks. It started when an agent requested a partial (the first 50 pages). I was so crazed, I made sure the submission was polished, with the help of a trusted friend and my long time reader, this was accomplished. After reading those 50 pages three times in a three day span, I realized how I needed to read the rest of the novel, all 302 pages of it. Of course, it's different than reading a book. You do that for enjoyment. When you're looking for errors and possible omissions, you read it with editor's eyes. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you see it, part of my day job includes being an English tutor, making it very easy for me to fall into that role. Dare I say, also making it painless for me to separate myself from my work. But there is a thin line between writer and editor, and I'm straddling it.

Then there's the role of the reader in me, who just wants to read it. Not to mention, the writer hearing the voice from the protagonist of the other project, ready for me to pick up where I left off. With the addition of bouts of doubt creeping in, per title, I'm drowning in words. Despite my complaining, I wouldn't have it any other way.


No comments:

Post a Comment